Train stations in large cities provide essential interchanges for millions of passengers each day. The security of passengers is of prime concern when designing new train stations.
Stations consist of a number of user-orientated systems and traffic systems ranging from buildings, entrance/exit options,, platforms, information systems, and lighting design, to rail systems including tracks, signalling works, and electrical supply facilities.
Ramboll has extensive experience in the planning, project design, and modernisation of train stations. Our solutions combine expertise from our many specialist disciplines, e.g. transport systems, stations, urban development, telecommunication, traffic planning, project management, and construction management.
Ramboll is frequently involved in projects concerning train stations for heavy rail as well as S-bane, metro and light rail.
Our competencies within stations include:
- Feasibility proposals regarding location of new train stations
- Environmental and heritage considerations
- Planning, design, and project management of building processes including modernisations
- Planning, design, and project management of the stations, platforms, depots and bus terminals
- Landscape planning
- Pedestrian flow analysis, multimodal travel chain analysis and concepts
- Integrating the stations to surrounding urban environment
- Passenger information systems
- Calculation of user movements and capacity of entrances, common areas, and platforms
- Calculations of traffic capacity of train stations
- Planning, design, and project management of technical railway facilities – tracks, signalling, electrification etc.
- Lighting systems